Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferred information from 2016 year and no tax owing but automatically using education amount. I want to transfer to other years when tax owing.

2 Replies

Transferred information from 2016 year and no tax owing but automatically using education amount. I want to transfer to other years when tax owing.

If you have any tax owing, a portion of your education amount will be used to lower your amount to zero.

If you have zero tax owing, the education amount will still be transferred but, if it isn't needed, it won't be applied. 

The full amount of your tuition/education credit will still appear on the credit summary in TurboTax either way. You can check to see how much (if any) is being used this year on line 323 of Schedule 1 on your PDF copy. To view the remaining balance of your tuition/education credit, check line 18 of your Schedule 11 on your PDF copy.

erinritz

I understand that the education amount is not supposed to be used if zero tax is owing however turbo tax is in fact using it in my return calculation and the only way to remove it is NOT to report it, even though we (in NB) are to report everything in 2019.