Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lala

Tuition Transfer - Why no carry forward for Provincial but carry forward for federal?

My son's tuition is 8000 attending university in ON. Turbo Tax puts in $5000 max. I understand that. I see my Federal carry forward amounts for the difference 3000.  For Provincial Turbox Tax puts in 5000. But there is Provincial carry forward and for previous years.

Every year if the Tuition is 8000, what happened to the difference at the Provincial level? It seems that it disappeared !???

December 31 I was in BC. My son was in university in ON.

Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tuition Transfer - Why no carry forward for Provincial but carry forward for federal?

There have been some changes to the Tuition Credit on a Provincial level for Ontario and Saskatchewan for 2018 and New Brunswick as of 2017. Tuition is no longer a provincial credit for students in those three (3) provinces. 

Therefore, any Provincial amounts to enter the tuition transfer will not be available, as seen in previous years.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There have been some changes to the Tuition Credit on a Provincial level for Ontario and Saskatchewan for 2018 and New Brunswick as of 2017. Tuition is no longer a provincial credit for students in those three (3) provinces. 

Therefore, any Provincial amounts to enter the tuition transfer will not be available, as seen in previous years.