Unable to transfer data from a 2019 return - Error...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Unable to transfer data from a 2019 return - Error Code: TT409

I installed TurboTax Standard 2020 and tried to start working on my tax return. The first step is usually to import the data from the previous tax year, but when I attempt to import my TT19 file I get the error message:

An error has occurred while reading your 2019 return from disk. Please ensure that the file is a valid TurboTax 2019 file and is not corrupted.

Error Code: TT409

I fired up TurboTax 2019 and it was able to read the TT19 file successfully. I even let TurboTax 2019 update itself and then saved a fresh copy of the TT19 file. TurboTax 2020 still complains about it and refuses to import it.

I then uninstalled TurboTax 2020, rebooted, reinstalled it, rebooted, and tried again: same error.

3 Replies

I am getting the same problem. Except I do not get the error code. Instead it says it cannot find the tt19 file but I can see it! The last few years there is always something wrong in TurboTax and no direct support from Intuit. This year I hesitated to buy it again. Next year I will purchase something else.

Same problem here too!

I discovered what was creating the problem for me. I had the TurboTax completed returns with other tax documents in a file I created. Every year I just add a new folder for the current year to this file and there has never been a problem with TurboTax finding it to bring forward the data to the new returns. But TurboTax would not see the file when I directed it to this folder this year. I had to move the "tt19" files to the actual program file folder for TurboTax, found under Applications in my C drive. Hope this works for others!

v