Unable to transfer data from a 2019 return - Error...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
CanadaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rosenqui
Level 2

Unable to transfer data from a 2019 return - Error Code: TT409

I installed TurboTax Standard 2020 and tried to start working on my tax return. The first step is usually to import the data from the previous tax year, but when I attempt to import my TT19 file I get the error message:

An error has occurred while reading your 2019 return from disk. Please ensure that the file is a valid TurboTax 2019 file and is not corrupted.

Error Code: TT409

I fired up TurboTax 2019 and it was able to read the TT19 file successfully. I even let TurboTax 2019 update itself and then saved a fresh copy of the TT19 file. TurboTax 2020 still complains about it and refuses to import it.

I then uninstalled TurboTax 2020, rebooted, reinstalled it, rebooted, and tried again: same error.

16 Replies
LynnK
Level 2

I am getting the same problem. Except I do not get the error code. Instead it says it cannot find the tt19 file but I can see it! The last few years there is always something wrong in TurboTax and no direct support from Intuit. This year I hesitated to buy it again. Next year I will purchase something else.

wiplarhollow
Level 2

Same problem here too!

LynnK
Level 2

I discovered what was creating the problem for me. I had the TurboTax completed returns with other tax documents in a file I created. Every year I just add a new folder for the current year to this file and there has never been a problem with TurboTax finding it to bring forward the data to the new returns. But TurboTax would not see the file when I directed it to this folder this year. I had to move the "tt19" files to the actual program file folder for TurboTax, found under Applications in my C drive. Hope this works for others!

wiplarhollow
Level 2

I talked to support and they say my file is corrupt, apparently my problem not their problem. The TT19 file open fine in the 2019 program...I have resaved it, updated it, and tried repeatedly to open it...Just does not work.

LynnK
Level 2

I had the same problem. Then I guessed that maybe the problem could be that the tt19 file was saved in a folder I had created. I moved it to the applications file where the system file for TurboTax is stored automatically when you downloaded the software. Then it worked just fine. For all previous years it worked just fine in the folder I had created for tax returns, but not anymore.

rosenqui
Level 2

Changing the folder doesn't make any difference for me. It finds the file without a problem, it just complains about it being corrupted when it tries to read it. Turbo Tax 2019 reads the same file just fine, so it's got to be a bug where TT2020 isn't handling some of the data within the file correctly and reports it as corrupted.

It's very frustrating since it means I have to input all of my carry-forward amounts manually.

wiplarhollow
Level 2

When I spoke with support they say it is all my fault...doesn't make sense when the 2019 returns are readable and were all filed just fine...must be a problem with the files...do you have business or farming income?

rosenqui
Level 2

No small business or farming income for me, but there would have been capital gains and a bit of foreign income in there.

slywchuk
Level 2

I have same problem. The file is not corrupt because it opens fine with TurboTax2019, but it won't transfer into TurboTax 2020. Clearly, something is screwed up in T-T 2020 but they won't admit it or spend the time and money to fix it. They obviously just don't care about users!

v