Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I Get something when wrong when trying to import last years data on Turbo Tax Premium?

Please make sure that when it asks How did you do your taxes last year? That you click on TurboTax Download/CD. If you put TurboTax Online then it won't transfer. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

alandoe53
Returning Member

Why do I Get something when wrong when trying to import last years data on Turbo Tax Premium?

Thankyou TurboTaxBrenda for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have been choosing the CD/Download TurboTax option each time it asks how taxes were done last year.  I am now up to tax return #21 and the only file that I was able to import was my daughters which is a single return. Some of the 21 returns were done following directions from someone on the phone from TurboTax support sharing my screen. He didn't have an answer so referred it to someone higher up. They came up with the answer that the problem was with the CRA website and that it would work after 19Feb when they came back online. Maybe that answer was intended to stop people asking questions for two weeks because it still doesn't work.

Why, when I skip the import does it say that it will cost $80 to file returns with my spouse when an earlier screen shows that I have 12 of 12 returns left to file?

I am not going to complete the returns and then find out that TurboTax wants to charge me $80 to file the returns.  I would rather get another software that actually works or use a pencil and paper to file.

Does TurboTax actually test their programs before they put them online?

CRA only allows for 20 returns per computer. I am not sure how you got 21 returns? 

alandoe53
Returning Member

I didn't get 21 returns. None of them have been filed. I have 21 attempts at getting TurboTax to work.

Let me explain: CRA and TurboTax don't count returns a used until they have been filed, but labels a return as "Return#??" as soon as you start a new return.

Do you see all of your 2022 tax files on your computer saved as TT22?

alandoe53
Returning Member

Yes, and they open with the CD version of TurboTax2022.

Here is a video on how to transfer from TurboTax CD/download to TurboTax Online. Hope this helps.

alandoe53
Returning Member

The video may be a little out of date.  The screens look different than what I'm getting and they are importing files from 2020. Nothing that I haven't been doing in the video.

Called TurboTax Phone support again. After trying a multitude of things, finally got word from their tech support that there is a glitch in the program that they are working on.