Once you’ve installed and opened TurboTax CD/download for the current tax year, TurboTax should automatically locate your tax data files from last year for you, and show them to you on the Welcome screen.
- Transfer from TurboTax online editions to TurboTax CD/Download editions is not supported.
- Transfer from any edition into a TurboTax Free edition is not supported.
- Selective (or partial) transfer of info from the prior year is not supported
- You can edit or delete any info that transfers; edit it the same way you would if you had entered it manually
- You can only transfer from the prior year when you start a new return for the current year; You can’t transfer into a current year return you’ve already started
- Install and open TurboTax for the current tax year.
- Select Transfer into a new 2019 return beside the return from last year you’d like to transfer from.
If TurboTax CD/Download doesn’t find your returns from last year, you might have saved your tax data file at a different location. To find them on your machine, search for them by their file extension.
All TurboTax CD/Download files are *.TTtax_year. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2018 files, search for *.TT18.
- Can TurboTax automatically transfer information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous tax return?
- In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?
- Where do I find my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year to transfer into this year’s return?
- I got a new computer. How do I transfer my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year into this year’s return?
- What information is carried forward from my previous TurboTax return?
- What information can I transfer to next year?