How do I transfer information (carry forward amoun...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intuit

How do I transfer information (carry forward amounts, etc.) from my previous year's tax return (CD/Download version)?

Once you’ve installed and opened TurboTax CD/download for the current tax year, TurboTax should automatically locate your tax data files from last year for you, and show them to you on the Welcome screen.
Please Note:

• Transfer from TurboTax online editions to TurboTax CD/Download editions is not supported.
  • Transfer from any edition into a TurboTax Free edition is not supported.
  • Selective (or partial) transfer of info from the prior year is not supported
  • You can edit or delete any info that transfers; edit it the same way you would if you had entered it manually
  • You can only transfer from the prior year when you start a new return for the current year; You can’t transfer into a current year return you’ve already started

1. Install and open TurboTax for the current tax year.
  2. Select Transfer into a new 2019 return beside the return from last year you’d like to transfer from.

If TurboTax CD/Download doesn’t find your returns from last year, you might have saved your tax data file at a different location. To find them on your machine, search for them by their file extension.

All TurboTax CD/Download files are *.TTtax_year. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2018 files, search for *.TT18.

Related information:

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in