Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

What information can I transfer to next year?

You can carry forward donations, RRSP contributions, education amounts, and many other amounts to a future tax year, as well as expenses or credits that you are unable to use in the current tax year.  

If you used TurboTax to complete your return last year and you had amounts to carry forward, the amounts are automatically transferred to your current year return.

• Charitable donations
  • RRSP contributions
  • Tuition and education amounts
  • Student loan interest
  • Moving expenses
  • Employment expenses
  • Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) closing balance
  • Business-use-of-home expenses
  • Loss Carryback Request
  • Losses
  • Alternative Minimum Tax
  • Cost of acquiring labour-sponsored shares (LSVCC)
  • Home Buyers' Plan repayment (HBP)
  • Lifelong Learning Plan repayment (LLP)

• Federal non-refundable tax credits
  • Unclaimed medical expenses (unless they fall within the 12-month claim period that ends in the tax year. In this case, do not enter them on this year's return. Instead, save them and enter them on next year's return)
  • Federal or provincial tuition amounts transferred from a child or a spouse or common-law partner. However, the child can carry forward these amounts and claim them in a future year.

Related information:

Can TurboTax automatically transfer information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous tax return?

In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

In TurboTax CD/Download, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

Where do I find my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year to transfer into this year's return?

I got a new computer. How do I transfer my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year into this year's return?

What information is carried forward from my previous TurboTax return?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in