TurboTax automatically transfers your carry forward amounts and other info to the right spots in your current year return.
If you used TurboTax to file your tax return last year, information such as the following is transferred from your prior year file:
- Your personal information (like your address and date of birth)
- Charitable donations and gifts (Schedule 9)
- Tuition and education amounts (Schedule 11)
- RRSP receipts
- Capital gains deduction (T657)
- Moving expenses, GST 370 rebate (T1 General)
- Interest paid on student loans, Quebec Prescription Drug Insurance (Schedule 1)
- Plan premiums, allowable credit of charitable donations and gifts
- Cumulative net investment loss (T936)
- Spouse’s T2205: Contributions you made to your spouse’s RRSPs
- Office in home expenses (T777 and other business forms)
- Alternative minimum tax (T691)
If you used TurboTax Online last year, TurboTax also pre-populates your Tax Profile with last year’s answers to save you time. You just need to make updates to reflect any changes in your life year over year.
In TurboTax CD/Download editions, you can use the Carry Forwards Worksheet to see some of the amounts that were transferred from your prior year return.
To find the Carry Forwards Worksheet in TurboTax CD/Download editions:
- If you’re not already in Forms View, select the Forms button at the top right of your screen.
- Once in Forms view, select the Forms menu at the bottom of your screen and select Form Lookup…
- Type “carry” into the search field.
- Select CFP to see your Carry Forwards worksheet. If you live in Quebec, select QCFP to see your provincial Carry Forwards worksheet.
Note: Carry forward amounts on the T1005 (Manitoba only) will need to be entered manually.
- Can TurboTax automatically transfer information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous tax return?
- In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?
- In TurboTax CD/Download, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?
- Where do I find my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year to transfer into this year’s return?
- I got a new computer. How do I transfer my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year into this year’s return?
- What information can I transfer to next year?