By default, TurboTax saves your tax data files in the Documents folder on your computer. The specific folder location is C:/Users/user_nameMy Documents/TurboTax/tax_year, where user_name is your Windows user name and tax_year represents the tax year.
If you chose the default location, or any location within the Documents folder, when you saved your tax return, you don't need to find your tax data files to transfer information if you’re using TurboTax CD/Download edition again this year. After you install and open TurboTax for the current tax year, TurboTax should automatically locate your tax data files from last year for you and show them to you on the Welcome screen.
If TurboTax CD/Download doesn’t find your returns from last year, you might have saved your tax data file at a different location. To find them on your machine, search for them by their file extension. All TurboTax CD/Download files are *.TTtax_year. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2017 files, search for *.TT17.
- Can TurboTax automatically transfer information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous tax return?
- In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?
- In TurboTax CD/Download, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?
- I got a new computer. How do I transfer my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year into this year’s return?
- What information is carried forward from my previous TurboTax return?
- What information can I transfer to next year?