Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90 day rule for hbp withdrawal

How do I determine whether I need to include an amount for the 89 days prior to withdrawal of an amount for the HBP? I did make contributions during that time, but I also had well over the amount I withdrew prior to that 89 day period.  Does it still apply?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you withdraw from an RRSP for HBP, it is considered that the oldest contributions are withdrawn first.  So if you have contributions equal to the amount withdrawn that were purchased earlier than 90 days ago, you are good.

Example:

You contribute $4,000 to your RRSPs in 2015.  In March 2016, you contribute another $2,000.  You then withdraw $3,000 from your RRSPs for the home buyer's plan April 1st.  As at least $3,000 of your contributions were made before Jan 2nd 2016 (90 days before the HBP withdrawal), you are able to fully deduct the $2,000 contribution you made in March 2016.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rrsp-reer/hbp-rap/wthdrwl-eng.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you withdraw from an RRSP for HBP, it is considered that the oldest contributions are withdrawn first.  So if you have contributions equal to the amount withdrawn that were purchased earlier than 90 days ago, you are good.

Example:

You contribute $4,000 to your RRSPs in 2015.  In March 2016, you contribute another $2,000.  You then withdraw $3,000 from your RRSPs for the home buyer's plan April 1st.  As at least $3,000 of your contributions were made before Jan 2nd 2016 (90 days before the HBP withdrawal), you are able to fully deduct the $2,000 contribution you made in March 2016.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rrsp-reer/hbp-rap/wthdrwl-eng.html

sarahferg
Returning Member

So, in the scenario you describe, would you still need to report the value of the contributions in the 90 day period prior to withdrawal, and the value remaining in your RRSP after HBP withdrawal? Or can you just leave these blank?