Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 12:37:15 AM

Am I eligible for First home buyer if I bought my condo end July 2016?

I live in the province of Québec and I paid rent from January 2016 to July 2016 and a home owner end of July 2016.  Should I get a slip for the rent I paid for 7months?  Also am I eligible to claim first home buyer tax credit for 2016?

0 1 674
1 Best answer
Oct 30, 2019 12:37:16 AM

Hello

Provided you meet the CRA requirements below you will be able to make the claim.

Line 369 – Home buyers' amount

You can claim $5,000 (note this equates to a $750 credit) for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2016 if both of the following apply:

• you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  • you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).

1 Replies
Oct 30, 2019 12:37:16 AM

Hello

Provided you meet the CRA requirements below you will be able to make the claim.

Line 369 – Home buyers' amount

You can claim $5,000 (note this equates to a $750 credit) for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2016 if both of the following apply:

• you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  • you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).