Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hutchy200

I moved to Canada in 2017 having previously earned and paid UK tax. I can add this "foreign income" but no place to enter the foreign tax. Must I be taxed twice on this

Already paid UK tax on UK income, must I pay Canadian tax on it too?

6 Replies

I moved to Canada in 2017 having previously earned and paid UK tax. I can add this "foreign income" but no place to enter the foreign tax. Must I be taxed twice on this

When using TurboTax Standard, click on the deductions tab and then click on payment profile and then click on foreign tax paid.  You will then be able to claim your foreign tax paid.

hutchy200

Thanks for the advice Mary-Ann. I found this and submitted the values under province ZZ. This results in me being owed more tax that I have ever paid Canada which obviously isn't right!

If you moved to Canada in 2017 and earned income outside of Canada prior to becoming a resident of Canada in 2017, any income earned prior to you becoming a resident of Canada is not subject to tax in Canada.  You will only report income in Canada starting from the date when you became a resident of Canada until the end of the 2017 tax year.

hutchy200

Thanks for the response Robert. When I try and file having 0.00 has foreign income I get a big warning that I should have declared this income. I subsequently declared it in the "foreign section" of income including the amount of tax I paid and then I get a huge amount of a refund owed which is more tax than I have ever paid Canada which obviously isn't right.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, if the income from the UK was earned prior to you becoming a resident of Canada, then no part of that income (and the taxes paid to the UK) would be reported in your 2017 tax return.  If you are unsure and your situation is complicated, you should contact Canada Revenue Agency's international tax and non-resident enquiries section for further clarification on your particular reporting status.  See the below link for contact info:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/international-tax-non-resident...
hutchy200

Thanks for the input. I will disregard this warning then and submit.