Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marvue01

Can I claim a capital loss on stocks transferred into TFSA?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately you need to sell your stocks as a loss first before transferring the money to your TFSA. And if you do sell as a loss, you should wait 30 days before buying again to avoid the superficial loss rule.

Some more information...

"If the stock you want to transfer into your TFSA has fallen in value you cannot claim the loss for tax purposes. In order to claim the loss you’d have to sell the stock outside the TFSA first. But be mindful of the superficial loss rule, which prevents investors from selling a stock to claim a loss and then buying it back in right back. If you sell the stock outside of the TFSA and buy it back within 30-days, the loss will be denied."

http://www.moneysense.ca/columns/transferring-stocks-into-a-tfsa/

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately you need to sell your stocks as a loss first before transferring the money to your TFSA. And if you do sell as a loss, you should wait 30 days before buying again to avoid the superficial loss rule.

Some more information...

"If the stock you want to transfer into your TFSA has fallen in value you cannot claim the loss for tax purposes. In order to claim the loss you’d have to sell the stock outside the TFSA first. But be mindful of the superficial loss rule, which prevents investors from selling a stock to claim a loss and then buying it back in right back. If you sell the stock outside of the TFSA and buy it back within 30-days, the loss will be denied."

http://www.moneysense.ca/columns/transferring-stocks-into-a-tfsa/