Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim Canada Work Benefit, I only worked couple months in 2019 during summer then I started school remainder year?

2 Replies

Can I claim Canada Work Benefit, I only worked couple months in 2019 during summer then I started school remainder year?

Thank you for the question. The Canada workers benefit (CWB) is a refundable tax credit to help individuals and families who are working and earning a low income.

As per CRA : 

Eligibility

You are eligible for the Canada workers benefit (CWB) if you:

• earn working income
  • are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes throughout the year
  • are 19 years of age or older on December 31, or you live with your spouse or common-law partner or your child

You are not eligible for the CWB if you:

• are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks in the year unless, on December 31, you have an eligible dependant.

If you have any further clarifications, we would be glad to guide you through.

Eligibility for Canada Work Benefit

You are eligible for the Canada workers benefit (CWB) if you:

• earn working income
  • are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes throughout the year
  • are 19 years of age or older on December 31, or you live with your spouse or common-law partner or your child

You are not eligible for the CWB if you:

• are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks in the year unless, on December 31, you have an eligible dependant.
  • are confined to a prison or similar institution for a period of at least 90 days during the year
  • do not have to pay tax in Canada because you are an officer or servant of another country, such as a diplomat, or you are a family member or employee of that person.

For more information you can go to the following link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-workers-benefit.html