Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can TurboTax do Tax returns for a non-resident real estate investor (never lived in Canada) with several houses in Canada?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can TurboTax do Tax returns for a non-resident real estate investor (never lived in Canada) with several houses in Canada?

TurboTax can be used to prepare a tax return for Non-resident electing to file under Section 216 for Part XIII source income (Rental). Select the correct filing status in the section for Province of Residence.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

TurboTax can be used to prepare a tax return for Non-resident electing to file under Section 216 for Part XIII source income (Rental). Select the correct filing status in the section for Province of Residence.

wadaoud09

Which TurboTax product need to use  to prepare a tax return for Non-resident electing to file under Section 216?

All TurboTax products will allow for the residency designation of Election under 216. Entry appears under Province of Residence.
wadaoud09

Will we be able to enter our expenses and claim them as credit to the income of the rent?

Yes the T776 Rental Income Statement will be accessible with this Residency Designation "Election 216".

Where can I enter NR4 Withholding Tax paid through the year (I have entered all return in Turbotax and could not find this)?

You can enter the tax withheld on a T4A Pension..Annuity..Other Slip. Use Box 22. Verify the amount at Line 437.
You may also wish to review the option of reducing tax withheld at source (if you have not already done so) by making the application with CRA on form NR6.

Hello ,

Can a non resident earning rental income still use TurboTax to file section 216? I login and when asked where you lived in December 31, 2022, I selected non resident and TurboTax came back with "We're sorry, based on your tax situation, we're unable to serve you this year"

What do I need to select to access section 216?

Also, I sold one of my rental property in 2022, can TurboTax file section 116 to get a refund from the deposit I made when applying for certificate of compliance? or do I need to get the refund from section 216?

Thanks,

Anthony

@anthonyeniola No. Unfortunately, while you can do a section 216 return in TurboTax, the forms for Section 116 are not included. You would need to get them from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).