Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 11:11:11 PM

Can you expense your whole cell phone bill on your rental property as a rental expense t776?

0 4 6123
1 Best answer
Level 2
Oct 29, 2019 11:11:12 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. You can deduct cell phone expenses from your income, however, you need distinguish your personal usage from your business use (i.e. as a percentage). You can deduct the entire amount only if you use your cell phone strictly for business purposes (in this case, earning rental income).

4 Replies
Level 2
Oct 29, 2019 11:11:12 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. You can deduct cell phone expenses from your income, however, you need distinguish your personal usage from your business use (i.e. as a percentage). You can deduct the entire amount only if you use your cell phone strictly for business purposes (in this case, earning rental income).

Oct 29, 2019 11:11:14 PM

Thank you Samar, if I just send texts and make a call or two a month would you think 20% of the total bill  is a reasonable number?

Dec 21, 2021 10:42:10 AM

Hello,

Under which category of expenses would this one fall under?

Dec 23, 2021 8:42:02 AM

@guille It would depend on what your total usage is. You also would need some way of backing up your claim if the CRA asks you about it.

@marieeve1030 You can enter your cell phone expenses in the "Telephone and utilities" box.