Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Britton
Returning Member

Do I have to report the same income twice, as T4 income and Foreign income to claim the foreign tax credit?

Hi I'm having the same issue as the others.  I fill out the FTC worksheet with no issue, that then populates the T2209 correctly.  From there the Other Foreign Income is ADDED to line 13000 of the T1 General.

Yes line 10100 remains the same as you say but line 15000 increases by the amount of Other Foreign Income which is not correct.

As the others have said all income has been reported on the T4, there is no additional income that should be reported.  All we want to claim is the Foreign Tax Credit  for the taxes paid to the USA and also paid to Canada.

If you don't enter the income on the FTC worksheet the Tax Credit will remain 0.00.

An Override and removal of line 13000 is the only solution I have found but that then removes the ability to Net File.  Please provide a solution as many people appear to have this problem.

Thank you,

Do I have to report the same income twice, as T4 income and Foreign income to claim the foreign tax credit?

Hi,

I had the same problem and spent 2hours on the phone with someone from turbo.

The conclusion was: well this is the way our software is done; either you claim the FTC or you don't enter you income in your t4.

This is a pretty terrible conclusion after 2hours.

Sorry is doesn't help the issue but at least you know the issue is not on the user's  end.

I have the desktop version and I can't seem to do this in the desktop version. Is there a way?

Thanks

I have the desktop version. I've tried unsuccessfully. How do I do this in the desktop version.

Thank you

@raypetax As per Heba above, Use the "Find" tool to search for "Foreign tax Credit".

In the main screen scroll down to "Foreign other than non-business income"

Specify your income and the tax paid on this amount

Then check your income on line 10100 it should remain the same as T4 only. 

I say again. This does not work in the desktop version. It adds to the T4 income. Is there a way for the desktop version or not? 

Thank you

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ngupta

This seems to be an issue that is still unresolved. From some 20 odd people I know of, including myself, we all fall back on not claiming FTC or agreeing to double report this income. 

Has anyone been able to find a resolution to this from CRA? This is a lot of money in aggregate. I have been working with my CPA who is also unable to find a resolution to this. 

Thank you for your feedback concerning the FTC. We will bring this up to the team to investigate if this is an ongoing issue or if it has been resolved. 

Thank you for choosing Turbotax