Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m1ss1l3d1

Does turbotax support non-resident tax filings in Canada ?

4 Replies

Yes, of course, we support non-resident tax filing, the software is user friendly, at the beginning as you start entering your personal information it will ask you about your residency status you answer each question as it pertains to your personal situation and move forward from there.

Please review the articles provided below for more detailed information:

Please take note that as a non-resident you will not be able to Netfile your tax return, you will have to print and mail it to the CRA.

crosswyred
Returning Member

When I complete the TurboTax process for non-residents there is one scenario missing, if the employer has a permanent presence in Canada (is Canadian corp) and the employee is Canadian, but the employee is non-resident.  In this case the employee pays the provincial tax as usual, rather than the non-resident surtax as is calculated by TurboTax program.  I can't find a way to change this setting.   Can your help desk advise if this scenario is available?

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with completing your income tax return. Please contact our customer service for assistance. https://bit.ly/3knjM63

MM06

How would I file for a non-resident who only earns income through renting his apartment.

We have the NR4 from CRA as no agent was appointed for 2019 and 2020.
We are trying to file for these two years and understand that we have until the end of this year to file.

Would turbo tax support this type of filing?