Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stharmar

Hi, how do I determine which partner should apply for any of the Ontario Trillium Benefits, especially the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Hi, how do I determine which partner should apply for any of the Ontario Trillium Benefits, especially the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit?

It does not matter as both of your incomes are considered in determining your eligibility for the Ontario Trillium Benefit.  Flip a coin.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stharmar

Hi, thanks for the reply. If it doesn't matter who applies then why does TurboTax give me an option to decide who to select?
dac3

Exactly. I've wasted a bunch of time on this. The software should be smart enough to make it a drop down choice - either None, the Husband, or the Wife are applying. Not Yes/No for both spouses. If we choose yes for both, it shows up on both of our ON-BEN and then what, we probably get in trouble when the papers arrive at Ontario gov't.
fuzzy

It does not matter as both of your incomes are considered in determining your eligibility for the Ontario Trillium Benefit.  Flip a coin.