Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amy17

Filing - Entering Overseas Address

I am trying to file, and want to enter my address details.  I live in New Zealand now, but program will only allow me to use Canada or US as my address.  It won't let me continue unless I choose one of these

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

There are a number of restrictions imposed by CRA that will not permit a return to be net filed.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/lgblty-eng.html  You will note one of the restrictions that prohibits net filing is if your address is outside of Canada.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rjburen

australia
taxnano

Try entering zz as the province which indicates nonresident. This how some other software I use handles this situation. I hope it works with TT. So enter your foreign address but under province input zz.

Same question for me only I need to enter my UK address.
fuzzy

There are a number of restrictions imposed by CRA that will not permit a return to be net filed.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/lgblty-eng.html  You will note one of the restrictions that prohibits net filing is if your address is outside of Canada.
taxnano

5 simple steps to resolve foreign address issues:

1. Enter your last Canadian address to bypass TT mandatory field

2. Remember to indicate your filing status e.g.  nonresident to ensure correct calculation.

3. Print tax return

4. Whiteout the address and write in your foreign address

5. Change your address by calling CRA @ 18009598281 or go online to My account and DIY. (This can be done in step 1).

Huh?  Printing it and white out can fix any line in the program 😉  .  I want to efile as a deemed Canada resident with a foreign address.  The software isn't smart enough to do this.
taxnano

I guess not! Mailing seems to be the only option available for you
queglay

This isn't an appropriate resolution.  do the developers watch these thread for future developement?  many people would be affected by this.

You can't just decide on your own that you are a deemed resident.  That is a determination made by CRA based on a number of things.