Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For my T2125 form I have questions about rent: I have a home rent for 9 months of the year, then moved to another apartment, more rent and a small officer I rent...

I have employment income from a job with a T4 but these costs are for my consulting business
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For my T2125 form I have questions about rent: I have a home rent for 9 months of the year, then moved to another apartment, more rent and a small officer I rent...

If your consulting business is run out of your home, you cannot claim all of the rent.  These home office costs go in home office expenses and only a portion of the total rent can be claimed, usually based on square footage.  You will need to do a spreadsheet to calculate the rent for each space and book in an average of rent and square footage to allow the calculation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If your consulting business is run out of your home, you cannot claim all of the rent.  These home office costs go in home office expenses and only a portion of the total rent can be claimed, usually based on square footage.  You will need to do a spreadsheet to calculate the rent for each space and book in an average of rent and square footage to allow the calculation.

Great, so the full rent for the office needs a place and the 20% of home rent needs a place... Which goes where!

You did say "for my T2125" so I am assuming that you have answered the questions regarding self-employment and have opened the entry screen to put in your income and expenses.  If so, you will find it along in a page or two as you go.  If you have not answered the questions and have not as yet opened your T2125 entry screen, once you do so, it is quite easy to find.

There is one place for rent - would I put the %of home rent and the full facility rent in the same line?