Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumrox

There is no consistency in the Capital Gains section for what the Adjusted Cost Base needs to be (whether per share or total ACB).

Sometimes it needs the ACB per share to function properly - other times it needs the total ACB. Please fix this.

I enter in my ACB per share and it says I have a gain of 24,000+, but when I enter the total ACB it works fine as it should - for a gain of roughly $3,800.

75,500 shares at an ACB per share of .28 with proceeds of $24.955 - gives a capital gain of $3857.28

The system tells me I have a gain of $24,000+

If I put $21,087.73 into the ACB - it works fine.

Yet this isn't the case for the rest of the entries - some it flips and won't work properly if it's the per share and I'm forced to use the total instead. What the heck is going on.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
forumrox

There is no consistency in the Capital Gains section for what the Adjusted Cost Base needs to be (whether per share or total ACB).

Found the answer ****For Turbo Tax software to figure out capital gains, the entry into the ACB box is the ACB per share times the number of shares sold. So previous ACB per share * current number sold.

Would be nice if it said that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
forumrox

Found the answer ****For Turbo Tax software to figure out capital gains, the entry into the ACB box is the ACB per share times the number of shares sold. So previous ACB per share * current number sold.

Would be nice if it said that.