Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey! I am completing my 2014 tax return. I came to Canada in March 2014. Before that I was a UK resident. Do I need to declare that income on this return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hey! I am completing my 2014 tax return. I came to Canada in March 2014. Before that I was a UK resident. Do I need to declare that income on this return?

You will need to declare any income you earned while living in the UK for your return to be calculated correctly.

For more information on completing your incoming tax return, kindly follow this link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newcomers/#whtr

Welcome to Canada!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will need to declare any income you earned while living in the UK for your return to be calculated correctly.

For more information on completing your incoming tax return, kindly follow this link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newcomers/#whtr

Welcome to Canada!

taxnano

You don't have to declare the UK income when you were nonresident. See except from the link provided to you by the moderator:

What income do you have to report?

For the part of the tax year that you WERE NOT a resident of Canada

You have to report the following amounts:

• income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada;
  • taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property; and
  • taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, and research grants you received from Canadian sources.
Note

For the part of the year that you were not a resident of Canada, do not include on your tax return any gain or loss from disposing of taxable Canadian property, or a loss from a business carried on in Canada, if, under a tax treaty, the gain from that disposition or any income from that business would be exempt from tax in Canada. For more information, go to Non-residents disposing of certain Canadian Properties.