Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soulbath

Hi, if i own a rental property in UK, how to calculate the tax that Canada will charge to me as a PR holder? Will rental income considered as capital gain tax?

1 Reply
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Hi, if i own a rental property in UK, how to calculate the tax that Canada will charge to me as a PR holder? Will rental income considered as capital gain tax?

There are two types of Rental income from outside Canada:

1. Renting your principal residence in the UK to cover utilities and maintenance costs only (no revenues).
  2. Renting your principal residence for revenue, or renting a separate residence.

You don't pay capital gains unless you sell the property or any assets in the property with a profit.

You need to fill the T1135 form and the T776 form to report the amount of income.

To fill the T1135, search for "Foreign Income Verification Statment (T1135)". and fill the appropriate boxes that apply to your rental property and income. Keep in mind that you are reporting the cost value of the property (fair market value when you became a resident), not the fair market value now.

Then search for "Rental Property" and report your income and expenses in Canadian dollars.

Check this link in how to complete the report:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/other-income/help/how-do-i-report-foreign-income-fore...

I hope this was helpful