Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumrox

How do I apply capital losses to previous years capital gains? I see no option for this. All that shows is "Non-Capital Loss Carrybacks" which is not what I require.

2 Replies
forumrox

How do I apply capital losses to previous years capital gains? I see no option for this. All that shows is "Non-Capital Loss Carrybacks" which is not what I require.

This is for stocks sold at a loss (2018) against gains from 2017. The "Losses" section does not give this option.

To apply a current year Capital Loss, you will need to make a "Request for Loss Carryback". To do so using TurboTax Self-Employed Online:

Click on > Deductions > Losses Profile > Request for Loss Carrybacks

Select for whom the losses will be claimed (yourself and/or your spouse, as appropriate) > click Continue until you reach the page Net Capital Loss Carrybacks.

On this page, you will see your Net Capital Loss Available for CarryBack, and you can choose the amounts you wish to have applied to previous years.