Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim property tax paid in my former province and rent in the new province. I paid property tax in Manitoba but now live in Ontario where I pay rent?

My family still live in the house in Manitoba

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

How do I claim property tax paid in my former province and rent in the new province. I paid property tax in Manitoba but now live in Ontario where I pay rent?

You don't.  To claim the Manitoba credit, you must have been a resident of the province of Manitoba on Dec 31 and only rent or property taxes paid for a principal residence located in Manitoba can be claimed.  For purposes of the Ontario Trillium Benefit, you must have been a resident of the province of Ontario on Dec 31 and only the rent or property taxes paid for a principal residence located in Ontario can be claimed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

You don't.  To claim the Manitoba credit, you must have been a resident of the province of Manitoba on Dec 31 and only rent or property taxes paid for a principal residence located in Manitoba can be claimed.  For purposes of the Ontario Trillium Benefit, you must have been a resident of the province of Ontario on Dec 31 and only the rent or property taxes paid for a principal residence located in Ontario can be claimed.

My wife is still resident in Manitoba but filing together defaults her to Ontario. How do we resolve that?
fuzzy

Because you have 2 different addresses, you will have to prepare your returns separately.