Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KF11

How is daytrading treated by CRA? Securities, forex, commodities?

Securities is clearly business income, but forex and commodities? IT346R (from 1970s) for commodities suggests should be categorized as speculator = capital gains; IT95R suggests forex is at the discretion of the filer. Trading is done on a small number of instruments repeatedly, on a short time scale, thus triggering "on income account" for securities. Is it the same for forex and commodities?

3 Replies

Regardless of what you trade, or how, CRA will regard this as investment income.

You will have to determine the type of income, as each is treated differently. For example, interest income, dividends, or capital gains. You may or may not have slips that document such trades.

If you are reporting this income as self-employment business income, you would typically complete a T2125. This would apply if you are trading as a business and claiming expenses.

If your trading is simple for personal investment purposes, report as investment income without T2125.

KF11

Given the nature of my trading patterns, CRA will require me to claim my securities trading as business income (on income account), thus not investment income (on capital account), regardless of my intention to have this as personal investment purposes. That is clear from IT479R.

My question is, given that I also trade similarly with forex and commodites whose corresponding IT bulletins seem to suggest these should be / can be elected to be capital gains, am I missing something where CRA will determine that my forex and commodites trading should also be considered business income.

If CRA determines that securities are business income if you meet their specified criteria (which I do), does trading other instruments in a similar fashion also trigger these to be similarly required to be reported as business income. The IT bulletins seems to suggest otherwise, but bulletins are not CRA decisions. Just want to report this income correctly.
Jeeva

CRA will consider Day Trading via Incorporation as Active Income ? and will be allowed for SBD ?