Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am buying a vehicle for $15,000 and am financing it on a 60 month term with payments of $352 a month. How would i go about deducting the vehicle for 50% work use?

I am a sole proprietor and use my vehicle for 50% of the time for work and the reason i am buying this vehicle is so it works better for work.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am buying a vehicle for $15,000 and am financing it on a 60 month term with payments of $352 a month. How would i go about deducting the vehicle for 50% work use?

You will enter te vehicle as an aquisition in the tax year, and claim depreciation.  The vehicle will be a class 10 asset.

You also need to track total km for the vehicle, and km used for business.  You will include all your gas purchases, maintenance, insurance, licencing etc.  You will also calculate your interest paid in the tax year for the financing.

The percentage of vehicle expenses claimed against the business will be determined by the ratio of km used for business compared to total km driven in the tax year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will enter te vehicle as an aquisition in the tax year, and claim depreciation.  The vehicle will be a class 10 asset.

You also need to track total km for the vehicle, and km used for business.  You will include all your gas purchases, maintenance, insurance, licencing etc.  You will also calculate your interest paid in the tax year for the financing.

The percentage of vehicle expenses claimed against the business will be determined by the ratio of km used for business compared to total km driven in the tax year.

Would this be any deifferent if i got a loan from the bank to pay for the vehicle instead of financing it from the dealership?

Whether it is from the dealership or your bank it is still a loan.