Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hfeldma1

I have a rental property that was sold last year at a loss. Condo was purchased for 191 and sold for 157. How do I claim the loss?

Just to make it more complicated, the Condo was a priamry residence for 1 year and rental for 9 years. 

1 Reply

I have a rental property that was sold last year at a loss. Condo was purchased for 191 and sold for 157. How do I claim the loss?

1. If you didn't claim CCA on the property, you can make an election for 4 years so that the property is still considered as your principal residence. 

2. The fair market value of the property in the year that it was changed to rental (either after 1 year or 5 years with the election) will be the new purchase price

3. If you claimed CCA on the property, you will report the sale in the Rental Properties section and in Investment (capital gains/losses). If you didn't claim any CCA on the property, report the gain/loss in the Investment section. 

For more info: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...