Solved: I have never filed a return. I'm 22, just graduat...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have never filed a return. I'm 22, just graduated university, I've had 2 long term jobs, Leased a House for 3 years. What should I do/use to start?

I don't know where to start.  I know I can request my T4s and use the current products for this year. 

Am I able to do past returns? Should I be doing that first?  I know this may not be the best place - any help is appreciated.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I have never filed a return. I'm 22, just graduated university, I've had 2 long term jobs, Leased a House for 3 years. What should I do/use to start?

You need to begin the first year you had employment.  If that was 18 or 19, that is where you would begin.  Since tax rules are different for each year, you will need a separate tax year for each beginning in 2011 or 2012.  You will have T4's, and probably T2202A's for your tuition and textbook credits.  If you had medical and dental expenses, you will need to gather up receipts for that.  Prior year tax software can be found here.  Do them in order to take advantage of tax credits carried forward from year to year.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/prior-year-taxes.jsp

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

You need to begin the first year you had employment.  If that was 18 or 19, that is where you would begin.  Since tax rules are different for each year, you will need a separate tax year for each beginning in 2011 or 2012.  You will have T4's, and probably T2202A's for your tuition and textbook credits.  If you had medical and dental expenses, you will need to gather up receipts for that.  Prior year tax software can be found here.  Do them in order to take advantage of tax credits carried forward from year to year.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/prior-year-taxes.jsp

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 6

Hi, thank you for using Intuit turbotax Live Community

You can file previous year returns. If you have missed filing previous year returns it is likely best to file the earlier returns first. There may be carry forwards available such as tuition fees.

If you have tuition fees paid in the years you where in university, the T2202A information should be reported on the tax return for the year the tuition was paid as shown on the T2202A. Also you may be eligible for credits such as the GST rebate which requires a T1 filed for the year.

The T4 and T2202 information can only be reported in the years they apply. For example  T2202A information and a T4 from 2017 must be reported on a 2017 T1 tax return

Hope this helps

v