Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soconnor4

I live in a seniors park in my own home however the land is leased and I paid $4471.48 for the land lease in 2016. Where do I file this amount?

Is this amount inserted when applying for the Ontario Trillium Benefit?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in a seniors park in my own home however the land is leased and I paid $4471.48 for the land lease in 2016. Where do I file this amount?

For a mobile home on a leased portion of land in a park, as long as the owner pays taxes on the property, you can make a claim in one of the following methods:

1.  If your receipt from the owner indicates the Property Tax portion of the rent..

2.  If the owner did not provide a detailed breakdown, claim 20% of the total rent including any taxes.

To enter this:

1. Click on Provincial in the navigation menu and continue through to the Ontario Trillium benefit screen.  

2.  Answer Yes to the Ontario Energy and Property tax credit and click continue

3. On the Payments Related to your Principal Residence screen, enter the information for your residence and the amount claimed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

For a mobile home on a leased portion of land in a park, as long as the owner pays taxes on the property, you can make a claim in one of the following methods:

1.  If your receipt from the owner indicates the Property Tax portion of the rent..

2.  If the owner did not provide a detailed breakdown, claim 20% of the total rent including any taxes.

To enter this:

1. Click on Provincial in the navigation menu and continue through to the Ontario Trillium benefit screen.  

2.  Answer Yes to the Ontario Energy and Property tax credit and click continue

3. On the Payments Related to your Principal Residence screen, enter the information for your residence and the amount claimed.

Your solution did not work.  The land owner in the mobile home park showed lease rent and property tax paid by me as two items. I entered in the rent portion on the rent line and the property tax on property tax paid line and got the following message;

1. Separate form should be used for each type of payment or multiple payment of one type.

Please supply a way to resolve this problem.

@summer51 If you are using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download Easy Step Mode, enter one payment first (rent or property tax), then click on the Additional Home button and enter the second payment.

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download Forms Mode, enter the two payments as separate receipts (1 and 2). 

Poor response. Fix the software so it works properly as it did in previous years.

Thank you for your feedback will send this to the appropriate team.