Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
If you are using the CD/download version of TurboTax and you're getting a TT805 error, please read

this message

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I put foreign tax credits in but H&R Block said it's done wrong on Turbo Tax. I got a US Fed & state refund and she says I have to put this in somewhere. Help...?

I don't know where this rule is in Canada Revenue guidelines.  Can someone show me where it is.  Turbo tax only told me to put what taxes were taken out .. turbo tax said nothing about refunds that I got back from Federal and State returns and there isn't anywhere I can put them.   I have extra taken out so I have a savings so I can pay off bills yearly and get tires for cars and payoff credit cards etc.  So now where do I put the information about my federal and state refunds.  I hope someone can tell me ... however H&R block is doing my 2013 return (filing late).  I hope this doesn't mean I have to pay even more to CRA.  It is bad enough that I can't use my kids that still live with me (I can take a deduction for both of them in US as long as they live with me and they make less than 3800 a year).  Please advise asap.  Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I put foreign tax credits in but H&R Block said it's done wrong on Turbo Tax. I got a US Fed & state refund and she says I have to put this in somewhere. Help...?

You should not have to claim a refund as income.  You are getting after tax income returned to you.  If you receive interest on that amount, the interest would be taxable income.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Ok so if I get that refund do I put in the true amount that they took from me ?  Is it this:  for example if I had 12000 taken out and got back $6000 do I just put $6000 down instead of the full 12000?

You would only put in the amount that they kept.  Otherwise you would be over-stating your foreign tax credit.

Thanks, I wish Turbo Tax would explain that ... they do not ... turbo tax please make sure to do this for people like me who do not know how to do Canadian taxes.

You should not have to claim a refund as income.  You are getting after tax income returned to you.  If you receive interest on that amount, the interest would be taxable income.

View solution in original post

Foreign tax credit is for someone who paid taxes on foreign income, or on a foreign tax return.  I agree that your refund is not income for tax return.

This is the link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/405-eng.html