Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 8:34:58 AM

I rent out 1 room of my 4- bdr principal residence. Will this affect its principal residence status? Thanks!

Since I can only find "rental property" in the Income section on this software, I also would like to ask where I should put the rental income & exp. from principal residence by using this software? Many thanks!

0 3 1690
1 Best answer
Oct 30, 2019 8:34:59 AM

No if you are only renting out a small portion of your property and the rental is incidental to the overall use and purpose of the property it will not impact the tax free Principal Residence Designation. However you must report the income related to the rental (claiming reasonable expenses) and not claim capital cost allowance on the rental unit.

3 Replies
Oct 30, 2019 8:34:59 AM

No if you are only renting out a small portion of your property and the rental is incidental to the overall use and purpose of the property it will not impact the tax free Principal Residence Designation. However you must report the income related to the rental (claiming reasonable expenses) and not claim capital cost allowance on the rental unit.

Oct 30, 2019 8:35:01 AM
Apr 19, 2021 1:03:24 PM

What about the reverse of this?

If someone rents a room do they qualify for the OEPTC if they just rent a room?