Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsten

I sublet a room in my two bedroom apartment at cost (50% of rent, hydro and internet). Do I need to claim this as income

I rent a two bedroom apartment, the lease is in my name. So are the hydro and internet bills. When I sublet out the second room I charge 50% of the base rent and included 50% of internet bill and estimated hydro bill to make it all included. Do I need to claim any portion of this on my income tax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sublet a room in my two bedroom apartment at cost (50% of rent, hydro and internet). Do I need to claim this as income

No, if you are not expecting to make a profit, and you are only charging what is needed to cover expenses, then this is a cost-sharing arrangement. You don’t have to report this income, but you also can’t claim any expenses from this arrangement either.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, if you are not expecting to make a profit, and you are only charging what is needed to cover expenses, then this is a cost-sharing arrangement. You don’t have to report this income, but you also can’t claim any expenses from this arrangement either.