Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will be a Canadian J2 visa in the USA for 18 months. My employer wants me to work remotely while I am in the US. How would I pay taxes? Paid in CAD to Can bank account

1 Reply

I will be a Canadian J2 visa in the USA for 18 months. My employer wants me to work remotely while I am in the US. How would I pay taxes? Paid in CAD to Can bank account

In Canada, your tax status is based not on your citizenship, but on your residency status. There are a number of factors that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) observes in order to determine your residency status and associated tax obligations.

As per CRA: If you want the Canada Revenue Agency's opinion on his/her residency status, complete either Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada) or Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada), whichever applies, and send it to the address indicated on the form. To get the most accurate opinion, provide as many details as possible on your form.

For further details, please visit:

TurboTax FAQ: How Does Residency Status Impact Your Tax Return?

CRA FAQ: Determining your residency status

You would need to let your employer know about your residency status.

If you remain a Canadian residence because you have residential ties with Canada, you would need to file a Canadian tax return.

We suggest that you consult with your accountant regarding your specific situation.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.