Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bubbles74

If our rental was empty for 3 months and we paid the hydro and water during that time, do I enter those amounts in the T776 section, Telephone and Utilities?

2 Replies

If our rental was empty for 3 months and we paid the hydro and water during that time, do I enter those amounts in the T776 section, Telephone and Utilities?

ThankYou for choosing TurboTax. We are here to support you.

It does not matter your property was vacant or not, you still able to deduct expenses incurred and paid in connection with Repairs and maintenance, Utilities of the property while it is vacant. However, you cannot deduct the loss of rental income during the period in which the property is vacant.

for more information" https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/tax-deductions-on-rental-properties-6382

Bubbles74

Thank you for your response.  We do not normally pay the utilities on our rentals, the tenant does, we only pay when it is vacant, so do we still use form T776 when paying the utilities when it is vacant?  Or is that considered a personal expense?