Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scopeinc

Northern residence deduction - trying to do my sons return, he bought a house last year and can claim Aug - Dec but its not 6 months.

My son has lived in the same northern zone all his life. He bought a house and has 5 months to claim NRD last year. How do I do this in the program as it won't let me put todays date to show he has 6 months residency. On paper that's how it would be done and on another tax program I have used. I would like to try and avoid a reassessment!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Northern residence deduction - trying to do my sons return, he bought a house last year and can claim Aug - Dec but its not 6 months.

In the Northern residence section of his return, enter the date that he purchased the house and then enter Dec 31,2014 (31/12/2014) and the address.  On the line below enter the info regarding the address, dates etc where he lived prior to moving into his new home.  This should confirm that he was a resident of the Northern zone for 6 mos or more.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

In the Northern residence section of his return, enter the date that he purchased the house and then enter Dec 31,2014 (31/12/2014) and the address.  On the line below enter the info regarding the address, dates etc where he lived prior to moving into his new home.  This should confirm that he was a resident of the Northern zone for 6 mos or more.

scopeinc

Thanks that might work!
fuzzy

Hope so.  If not post back