Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badhat73

Can I claim rental expenses on a property while it is vacant and while rent isn't being paid?

Last year we had a deadbeat tenant who was way behind in rent and then bailed on us in August. The place was dirty and damaged when they left and we haven't been able to rent it since. So this I think is two questions - 1) can I claim expenses (mortgage interest etc) while it was vacant August - Dec? ... And 2) What will happen when I claim essentially zero income as they had effectively paid for Jan-Feb before they bailed.

I imagine it will raise a flag or two.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim rental expenses on a property while it is vacant and while rent isn't being paid?

You can claim the repairs and maintenance, and mortgage interest.  It will cause a loss that can be used in the future against a profitable year.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kerbare10

Can you claim the months your basement suite goes un-rented (for mortgage interest, insurance, and property taxes?  Our suite was rented 6/12 months in 2018 (due to slow market)

You can claim the repairs and maintenance, and mortgage interest.  It will cause a loss that can be used in the future against a profitable year.

Just to clarify as i have the similar situation. I had tenant till June 2015. Then in Aug 2015 new tenant came in. So can i claim lost income of month of July as i didnt have tenant in that month only?

Thanks,

You cannot claim lost income.  It is just less income to report.

Thanks for promote reply.