Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a non-resident of Canada report income earned under "foreign income" and the same amount under "statement of world income?" in the provincial section?

I am a Canadian living full-time in South Africa, with income from Canadian and South African sources. I entered my South African income as "foreign income" in Turbo Tax, which is about $7000. However, under the provincial section, I am asked again for a "statement of world income." 

Should I write in $7000 again, in the World Income section? It causes my payment amount to increase by $3000 when I do so, and I already pay tax for this income in South Africa, for which I understand a tax treaty exists between the two countries.  

2 Replies

Should a non-resident of Canada report income earned under "foreign income" and the same amount under "statement of world income?" in the provincial section?

Looks to me like you are a non-resident of Canada. In that case, you do not have foreign income (from a Canadian perspective) so there is no need to report your South African income as foreign income. However, you would need to enter your SA income in the World Income Statement.

Only residents of Canada will have to report foreign income, if they have any.

What about if a person paid tax on the Canadian income in a foreign country and that tax is including the tax for the foreign income (USA this case)? In the foreign tax credit section under "Deductions", do I enter the income from the foreign country only and plus the tax paid to the foreign country (which is combining incomes from both countries)? I am a resident in the US, so I need to declare all incomes. Thanks!