Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seekings

My son went to school in Regina, and while there, as he is from Manitoba, he paid rent. Can he claim the rent he paid on his income tax.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son went to school in Regina, and while there, as he is from Manitoba, he paid rent. Can he claim the rent he paid on his income tax.

Yes, he can claim the rent that he paid in Manitoba on his income tax return.  Please click on the heading titled Provincial and put a checkmark next to Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid).  He will then be prompted to enter the amount of rent paid.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Which province is he using to file his income tax return?
seekings

Manitoba

Yes, he can claim the rent that he paid in Manitoba on his income tax return.  Please click on the heading titled Provincial and put a checkmark next to Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid).  He will then be prompted to enter the amount of rent paid.

seekings

He paid the rent in Saskatchewan, although he filed his income tax in Manitoba as he resides here but was there for University.   So his rent was paid in Saskatchewan but his income tax is filed in Manitoba.   Hope that makes sense.   Sorry if I was unclear.

Unfortunately, you can only claim the rent you paid in either Ontario or Manitoba on your income tax returns.