Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

My spouse & me sold an investment property, how do we now claim the capital gain between us since we're both owners? Can't find solution how to enter into TurboTax

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

My spouse & me sold an investment property, how do we now claim the capital gain between us since we're both owners? Can't find solution how to enter into TurboTax

The capital gain should be reported on the Schedule 3. You can locate the Schedule 3 under "Investments".

Since you both own the property (assuming 50% ownership each), you will report your 50% portion on your respective Schedule 3. 

This is in addition to the amounts you need to report on the Rental Form (T776).

3 Replies
Level 1

The capital gain should be reported on the Schedule 3. You can locate the Schedule 3 under "Investments".

Since you both own the property (assuming 50% ownership each), you will report your 50% portion on your respective Schedule 3. 

This is in addition to the amounts you need to report on the Rental Form (T776).

Level 1

So for Example if we its a 50/50 split, and we got the place for 50k, solid it for 100k, we would divide those numbers in half and report them on Schedule 3 for each spouse?? Correct?
Level 1

Yes that is correct. You would each report 50K on your own Schedule 3.