Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I moved to BC from Ontario. We sold our place in Ontario and bought one in BC. How do I enter the sale of the house and purchase of the new house as 50/50?

What about the moving expenses – do I split those 50/50?
3 Replies

My wife and I moved to BC from Ontario. We sold our place in Ontario and bought one in BC. How do I enter the sale of the house and purchase of the new house as 50/50?

Yes, you can enter the sale of your house as a 50/50 split. Here's how you can report the sale of your home, including instructions on how to report that the house was owned by you and your wife: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3226476

There is no credit or need to report the purchase of a new home (unless it is your first home).

Yes, you can split the moving expenses with your spouse. You can have the spouse with the higher marginal tax rate claim the entire amount or split the amount if that will maximize your deduction. 

Here's how to split moving expenses between you and your wife:

1. In the upper-right area of TurboTax, select Find.
2. In the Find window, type "Moving Expenses," select it from the list of results, then select Go.
3. On the Your Moving Profile for 20xx step, select Moved at least 40 kilometres to be closer to a new school or work location under your name and your wife's name, then select Continue.
4. On the Moving Expenses step, select Continue.
5. On the <Name>: How Far Did You Move step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
6. On the <Name>: Reason for Moving step, 
answer the questions, then select Continue.
7. On the <Name>: Details of the Move step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
8. On the <Name>: The Sale of Your Old Home step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
9. On the <Name>: Allowable Moving Expenses step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
10. On the <Name>: New Home Expenses step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
11. On the <Name>: Eligible Income At New Location step, answer the questions, then select Continue.
12. Follow the instructions on-screen to complete steps 5 to 11 for your wife.

Here's more information on claiming moving expenses: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648075

For the mentioned step 10 - purchase of new home, if the house was 400k, where it asks price of house do I put 200 for me and 200 for my spouse or is it 400 for each?

If you want to split the moving expenses, put $200k for each. You also have the option of having one person claim the moving expenses, in which case put $400k.