Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ujjwalcts

I came to canada on 8th September 2018 from India. Do i have to show the indian income(till 7th Sepetember2018) as part of --What was your income from foreign sources

2 Replies

I came to canada on 8th September 2018 from India. Do i have to show the indian income(till 7th Sepetember2018) as part of --What was your income from foreign sources

Foreign income earned prior to arriving in Canada. We want to know about your World Income. It boils down to whether you get a full year or is it prorated from your date of entry. You will not be taxed twice on your income from home, under the tax treaty Canada has with India, as it is taxed at source, you would file for Foreign Tax Credit.

To access the FTC form, go to the "Find" icon at the top right corner of your screen and type in "Foreign Tax Credit". 

More information on the treaty with India here https://bit.ly/2HDv6Mh from the CRA

Prior to arriving in Canada, foreign income was earned. Enter your worldwide earnings too. This depends on whether you receive a full year of benefits or prorated based on when you first entered. Under Canada's tax treaty with India, your income from home will not be double-taxed since it is taxed at the source, and you would file a foreign tax credit.

Enter "Foreign Tax Credit" in the "Find" box at the top right corner of your screen to access the form. 

You can find more information about the treaty with India at https://bit.ly/2HDv6Mh from the CRA.

If you require further assistance, please contact our phone support team or contact us directly