Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leeann1

Owned property sept 2016 renovated moved dec 2017, sold apr 2018 and bought another apr 2018 is this subject to capital gains

3 Replies

Owned property sept 2016 renovated moved dec 2017, sold apr 2018 and bought another apr 2018 is this subject to capital gains

If these properties were your principle residence while you owned them, then you would not be subject to capital gains. However, if these were investment properties or you rented them out, then yes you may have capital gains as a result of the sales.

Hello TurboTaxSusan,

I had a followup question that seems to be related. I borrowed funds from a bank line of credit to purchase half of a condo for my mother; she owns the other half. I paid interest on the line of credit and she lived in the condo as her primary residence. We have sold it now and since I live in my own primary residence I realize that I need to pay capital gains on the appreciation. Is there any deduction I can take, or is there some way that I can reduce, to lower how much capital gains I need to pay? I am retired.

Thank you

You can’t claim the interest on the line of credit – you can only do this if you were using the property to generate income (such as a rental). However, if you made any improvements to the property, you can include those expenses in your Adjusted Cost Base (ACB) calculations when you sell the property. This can reduce the amount of capital gains that you can be taxed on.

This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page has more information on Adjusted Cost Base: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...