Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zmaszcza

Captial Gains/losses and dividends have been entered on T3, T5, and T5008 all downloaded from CRA. Do I enter it again on the Captial gains and dividend pages?

I am being asked to enter Capital gain/loss and dividend info again manually even though it has been reported on the T3, T5, T5008 all downloaded from CRA?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Captial Gains/losses and dividends have been entered on T3, T5, and T5008 all downloaded from CRA. Do I enter it again on the Captial gains and dividend pages?

No, only enter the amounts from your T-slips into TurboTax once. If you have been issued T3 and T5 slips, you must enter them on the correct page or leave them where they have been downloaded to. T5008s can be entered on the slip page or in the Capital Gains Profile (if they relate to capital gains). If you choose to enter them in the Capital Gains Profile, you must remove them from the T5008 slip page where they have been downloaded to.

You do not want to report this income twice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No, only enter the amounts from your T-slips into TurboTax once. If you have been issued T3 and T5 slips, you must enter them on the correct page or leave them where they have been downloaded to. T5008s can be entered on the slip page or in the Capital Gains Profile (if they relate to capital gains). If you choose to enter them in the Capital Gains Profile, you must remove them from the T5008 slip page where they have been downloaded to.

You do not want to report this income twice.

this is what I have done-how do correct this

bjp1

I downloaded the CRA T5008, and modified the extra information needed ( cost, dates etc).  It is not populating my T1 or Schedule 3.   The T3 and T5s did.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

After Importing your Information from CRA using AFR, you will need to check your T5008 boxes manually. One more box that you have to check in the type of security. You need to make sure to choose capital gain instead of investment to calculated the cap-gain or cap-loss otherwise it will populate it as an investment and will go to the federal worksheet as interest income. 

To check your Capital gain income :

TTO version: click on the arrow beside your refund or amount owing value --> view detailed tax- summary --> check line 12700. If you have a loss you will not see an amount in this line. you will be able to carry it forward. 

TTD version: click on Forms on the top bar --> click on forms at the bottom bar and you can choose the form you want to view (schedule 1 or schedule 3). schedule 3 will show you the gain or loss value.  

if you need further help, please contact us at:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I hope this was helpful

MarioDisc

interest income on T5 is seen as dividend income by turbotax how do I fix. I cannot file