Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suzyqd

Mortgage interest payments

Where do i claim the mortgage interest payments on my primary residents?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mortgage interest on a personal residence is not tax deductible in Canada. If you have generated income either through renting out part of your house or operated a business from your home you would need to report the income and expenses on the appropriate schedule.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Mortgage interest on a personal residence is not tax deductible in Canada. If you have generated income either through renting out part of your house or operated a business from your home you would need to report the income and expenses on the appropriate schedule.

MH Farm

Im a farmer. I divorced and paid my wife a sum. I had to get a lender to pay her out.

I pay my lender monthly eg: $600 on interest only!

Do i claim whole amount [social security number removed], $7,200.00 on line 9806? 

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

We need more information to be able to help you. Did you split a farming business with your wife or are you trying to claim personal loan expenses? Was the business in both your names or did you own it solely? 

For questions for which personal information must be exchanged, you can contact us by phone or private message on our Facebook and Twitter social networks. 

We also offer tax expert services as needed. 

Thanks in advance for your understanding, 

I hope this was helpful