Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razib1259

My wife she does not live in Canada how do i fill all these staff

8 Replies

How you claim your spouse who does not live in Canada depends on many things. 

1. Is your spouse a Canadian with a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
  2. Is your spouse dependant on you for support?
  3. Does your spouse have income of his/her own that will affect the Spousal Amount claim?

Claiming a non-resident spouse is more or less the same as claiming a resident spouse if you have supported them during the year.

Some things to keep in mind are:

• If your spouse does not have a SIN, enter 000 000 000 in TurboTax. You are not able to file a tax return for a Non-Resident without a SIN, so do not choose to prepare your tax returns together. 
  • Make sure you have the documentation to support your claim if you are making a claim for the Spousal Amount Credit.  The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) needs proof that you’re in fact providing financial support to your spouse, so when payments are made, keep your documents together. The proof of payment you give to the CRA must include your name, the amount, the date of payment and your spouse’s name and address.
  • The amount you pay to a Non-Resident spouse must also be enough to be considered ongoing support. You cannot just make periodic small payments.
  • If your non-resident spouse or common-law partner has any income in your home country, it will also reduce the amount you can claim, even though the income is not reported on a Canadian tax return. If your spouse has an income above $12,069 CAD, the Spousal Amount claim would be completely eliminated. 

sun_99149
Returning Member

My situation is:

We got married in April 2019, and she quit her job at then end of June 2019. Then she moved to Canada and held a visitor visa. I had sent her work permit and PR applications, but she still has not received anything yet.  My questions are:

1. How can I file the income tax? 

2. Can I still use turbo tax premier to file both of us? How?

3. I know she needs to send her tax information to CRA by mail because I had contacted CRA. And they said she could apply Temporary Tax Number as she doesn't have a work permit or PR yet. What documents can i generate from Turbo tax and send to CRA?

4.  Can I still have any tax deduction since she doesn't have a job from June 2019. How? what line should I enter?

Please let me know. Thanks.

To answer your question 1 and 2, Yes TurboTax Premier can file both returns. However, you are not able to file a tax return without a SIN. The First Step I would recommend is to get your wife's temporary SIN as per CRA advised.

To be eligible for spousal credits, your non-resident spouse (April-June) had income in her home country, this will also reduce the amount you can claim, even though the income is not reported on a Canadian tax return. If your spouse has an income above CAD 12,069, the Spousal Amount claim would be completely eliminated.

If you are unable to get her SIN you can use 000 000 000 for her SIN. It is imperative that your wife's income is included up until June when she stopped working.

sun_99149
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply.

She had around 2000 CAD income from April to June 2019. I can use [social security number removed]=10069 CAD as my tax deduction, right?

Their net income for 2019 (line 23600 of their 2019 Federal tax return)

Should I enter $2000 CAD? Even though that was a foreign income?

Their net income while you were living outside of Canada,

it should enter zero, right?

Is your spouse net income zero? 

I would assume this is their income in Canada, and I will ask "Yes" because she holds a visitor visa.

Amount of total Split income on box 68360 of their T1206

What is this for? What amount should I enter? $10069 CAD? or If my income is 100,000. Can I split 50K?

Should i enter anything for these three questions?

Amount of TOSI-adjusted net income on line 6 of their T1206

Amount of TOSI-adjusted federal taxable income on line 8A of their T1206

Amount of TOSI-adjusted provincial taxable income on line 31C of their T1206

Please advice. Thanks a lot.

The TOSI rules do not apply non-resident Canadian.

Please see the links below from the CRA regarding TOSI and supporting documents required:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/federal-government-...

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

sun_99149
Returning Member

Thanks. How about the other questions except TOSI? Could you please help me? 

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You should report your wife's world income before and after arriving in Canada > you report the Canadian income and the foreign income > CRA requires this information to determine the eligibility for certain credits and benefits:

• Enter her world income until June 2019 including the foreign income. 
  • Enter the income after the date of entry even if it was from a foreign source > so if after arriving in Canada if she was still receiving income from a foreign country she will have to report it under the foreign income profile when she gets her SIN number to file the return.

Their net income for 2019 (line 23600 of their 2019 Federal tax return)

income in Canada even if she was still receiving funds from a foreign country that was not from employment (interests, pension)

Their net income while you were living outside of Canada,

Income from January to June. (her income even prior to marriage)

Is your spouse's net income zero? 

Yes or No depends on how you answered the first question

I hope this was helpful

sun_99149
Returning Member

Thank you so much for your help. Much better than i called CRA.