Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I rent out 1 room of my 4- bdr principal residence. Will this affect its principal residence status? Thanks!

Since I can only find "rental property" in the Income section on this software, I also would like to ask where I should put the rental income & exp. from principal residence by using this software? Many thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I rent out 1 room of my 4- bdr principal residence. Will this affect its principal residence status? Thanks!

No if you are only renting out a small portion of your property and the rental is incidental to the overall use and purpose of the property it will not impact the tax free Principal Residence Designation. However you must report the income related to the rental (claiming reasonable expenses) and not claim capital cost allowance on the rental unit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No if you are only renting out a small portion of your property and the rental is incidental to the overall use and purpose of the property it will not impact the tax free Principal Residence Designation. However you must report the income related to the rental (claiming reasonable expenses) and not claim capital cost allowance on the rental unit.

Jaysin84

What about the reverse of this?

If someone rents a room do they qualify for the OEPTC if they just rent a room?