Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting an error message in regards to my HBP repayment and cannot submit to Netfile.

I'm getting the following error message: You have unused RRSP contributions from prior years and you have designated RRSP contributions as your HBP and/or LLP repayment. Any portion of RRSP contributions made in 2017 or before cannot be designated as HBP/LLP repayments.

I don't have unused RRSP contributions from prior years. Everything looks fine with my RRSP details and my HBP repayment. RRSP contribution is higher than my HBP repayment. I tried "skipping" the error, but it won't let me Netfile until it is fixed. It looks like this was a problem last year but was fixed. One post suggested clearing the browser cache, which I have done, and it still doesn't resolve this problem. 

4 Replies
ollie339

I am getting an error message in regards to my HBP repayment and cannot submit to Netfile.

I have the same problem. Is this going to be fixed?

Spent a long time on the phone tonight with a very pleasant customer service rep. We finally got to the root of the issue which is that all of my RRSP contributions have been to a spousal RRSP. Your HBP repayment cannot be applied against that. It can only be applied against contributions to your own account. At least that was the issue in my case. Also check to make sure you have not selected that you have unclaimed contributions in the profile section (assuming that is true), even if you later fill out that you have $0 to claim from previous years. This seemed to also be messing up the forms.
benmerc

I think that just answered my question.  Makes sense now, but I stumbled over this for a while.  I'll make a contribution to my RRSP for next year.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Payment to HBP has to be designated from this year's RRSP own contribution. 

To break it down, you can have in your profile the following contributions:

1- Own Contributions: made for the current tax year March 2, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019, and Jan 1, 2020 - March 1, 2020

2- Unused Contribution: made in prior tax years, reported in your taxes,  but have not been deducted yet 

3- Spousal Contributions: RRSP you contribute to your spouse's account

HBP designated payment can be made only from the first group "own contribution made in the current tax year". 

Make sure to go back to your RRSP profile and check how you made the designation.

I hope this was helpful