Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3 Box 21 Capital Gains, I get warning that "Foreign capital Gains cannot exceed your total capital gains".

2 Replies

T3 Box 21 Capital Gains, I get warning that "Foreign capital Gains cannot exceed your total capital gains".

• If you have "Foreign Capital Gains in Box 21 of your T3, you must enter the amount "twice" in order to remove that warning. Enter as "Foreign Capital Gains" and again as "Total Capital Gains". If you have two T3 slips, you must enter each slip individually. 
  • If you also have a T5008 slip, you need to report that separately. There is different information on the slips, although it would appear they relate to the same investment.

The T3 slip shows capital gains at the fund level based on your fund manager buying and selling. (or activity in account).
The T5008 or December 31st account statement shows capital gains based on YOUR buys and sells. (usually only received when you sell or cash out).
And you should be reporting both when filing your income taxes

If you’re using TurboTax Live Assist and Review, you can contact us: I'm using TurboTax Live Assist & Review. How do I talk to a tax expert?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

cnn7272

This response was very helpful!! thank you.