Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5008 - total of Capital Loss and total of Capital Gains

Hi, I have T5008 USD and they are in 16 pages - lots of different stocks, dates, shares..

Can I accumulate/group all them together on Capital Loss (box 20) and Capital Gains (box 21) and leave others blank (boxes 14-19)?

This will save me lots of time.

2 Replies

Yes, you can group your T5008s together. It would be a good idea to create a spreadsheet with all the information from all your separate T5008s, so if the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks, you can give them the spreadsheet.

For Box 14 you can enter December 31 if you are submitting multiple transactions.

Please remember to convert the USD amounts to CAD. You can get the exchange rate from this Bank Of Canada webpage: Exchange Rates

Please see this TurboTax Article for more information on the T5008 Slip: T5008 Slip – Statement of Securities Transactions

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have two separate T5008s, 1 in all CAD trades (9 pages) and 1 in all USD trades (16 pages). Same with my TD Trading accounts 1 in CAD and 1 in USD, they are separate. So exchange already made when transferred from savings account  to USD trading account. In one of T5008 USD, it shows USD in Box 13.. So I don’t have to worry about the conversion and the exchange rate correct? As for T5008 CAD, I leave Box 13 blank correct?

It’s a long work but I’ll try to use spreadsheet to make sure the numbers are correct before I am done.

Thanks for the Box 14 advice.